2 sentenced to life in 2016 murder of Californian teenagers

WOODLAND, Calif. (AP) — Two men convicted of murdering a pair of California teenagers who disappeared six years ago were sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, prosecutors said.

Chandale Shannon, 25, of Winters, and Jesus Campos, 22, of Woodland were convicted of the 2016 kidnapping and murder of teenagers, whose bodies were never found despite years of effort.

“The crimes were bad. Families have been terribly impacted. And two boys died. I conclude that Mr. Campos and Mr. Shannon lost their lives to live in a civilized society,” Yolo County Superior Court Judge David Rosenberg said during the sentencing hearing, according to a statement from the county attorney’s office.

They were among four people charged with killing Enrique Rios, 16, and his friend, 17. Elijah Moore.

Prosecutors said Moore was killed in revenge after stealing 3 ounces (85 grams) of marijuana from three of the defendants.

Rios was shot and killed by David Froste in October 2016 when he refused to call or provide a location for Moore, who was killed several weeks later on Nov. 4, prosecutors said.

Moore was kidnapped as he left a barber shop in Woodland, 15 miles northwest of Sacramento.

Prosecutors said he was forced into the trunk of a car and taken to Knights Landing on the Sacramento River, where he was bound and denied the means to call his mother and release him . Shannon, Froste and Campos and two other men beat him to death with tree branches, crushing his skull.

His body was then placed in a pit, burned and buried.

Shannon, Campos, David Froste and his brother, Jonathan Froste, were arrested in 2018. Authorities tracked their locations and movements through cellphone data and social media activity.

David Froste was convicted of murder in 2018 and is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

In May, Shannon was found guilty of two counts of first degree murder with special circumstances and kidnapping.

Jonathan Froste pleaded guilty to second degree murder and testified against the other three defendants. He awaits sentencing and is expected to serve 15 years to life in state prison.