Man missing in Northwest Territories territory since 2019 officially declared dead

A seasoned outdoorsman who has been missing since spending a winter in a remote area of ​​the Northwest Territories in 2019 has been pronounced dead.

The statement was made for the missing Glenn Field in Yellowknife Territorial Civil Court on April 8.

Field was last seen in April 2019 after wintering in a wall tent near Rolfe Lake, about 150 kilometers northeast of Yellowknife.

His brother, Wayne Field, submitted an affidavit on February 16 to officially declare Glenn deceased in May 2019.

“I believe, given the time that has elapsed since my brother Glenn Harold Field was last spotted…that he has sadly passed away,” Wayne wrote in the affidavit.

“I don’t know when, but I guess it was around May 2019 or spring 2019.”

outdoor experience

Wayne traveled to Yellowknife in July 2021, where he spoke with an RCMP officer who said that based on his experience in the North – and understanding the geography of where Glenn was staying – there wasn’t much optimism that he would survive.

Glenn moved to Yellowknife in 2018, according to court documents.

He appeared to be establishing the Northwest Territories as his new home – he had applied for residency and had his truck and trailer plated.

Wayne wrote that he thought Glenn planned to start working in the territory, but spent the winter of 2019 in the field, which he had done several times before.

In the early 1980s, Glenn spent a winter in the Coppermine River area where he fell on hard times, running out of food and losing three toes to the cold, according to court documents.

Wayne wrote in the affidavit that he thinks Glenn has spent one or two more winters on earth since the 2000s, but would not share those details with Wayne.

“He wouldn’t tell me his plans since I disagreed. He always went to land in the Northwest Territories.”

Wayne wrote that he believed Glenn left Rolfe Lake with maps, skis, a canoe and his dogs to travel to Great Slave Lake and then Yellowknife in the spring of 2019.

Wayne wrote that although he cannot be sure, he believes Glenn may have capsized while canoeing.

Police began searching for Glenn around October 2019 and continued to launch search parties for about a year after.

“Independent and self-sufficient”

The affidavit shows Glenn was someone who also preferred to be left alone, living alone in an Atco trailer with his dogs since the 1980s.

Wayne said in the affidavit that he encouraged Glenn to buy property, but was never interested, preferring to be able to move.

“Glenn has always been very independent and self-sufficient,” the affidavit reads.

“He was a lonely person. The people he dealt with liked him, but he didn’t have any close friends that I know of.”

Glenn has spent his entire adult life in northern communities including Yellowknife, Churchill, Man., and Prince George, BC.

He has worked in mines, a restaurant supply company, as well as tree planting and logging.

In the early 2000s, he started his own business as the owner and operator of a log sawmill, but sold his equipment and stopped working around 2016.

His German Shepherds were his priority. He bought them from breeders in southern British Columbia and always owned at least two at the same time.

Wayne wrote in the affidavit that Glenn owned three German Shepherds when he went into the field this past winter.