At least 5 dead after building collapse in Nigeria


A three-storey residential building has collapsed in Lagos, Nigeria’s largest city, killing at least five people, many of whom fear being trapped, emergency response services said on Monday.

“Twenty-three people were rescued alive, including seven children and 16 adults,” said Ibrahim Farinloye of Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency. “Nine of those rescued alive have been treated and released.”

Among the dead are a mother and her son, Farinloye said.

The building collapsed late Sunday evening in the Oyingbo district of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial hub and most populous city with more than 14 million people.

Residents and passers-by gathered before dawn as they joined a team of rescuers and rescue workers searching the rubble for survivors. It is not known how many occupants were in the building, located in a densely populated area of ​​the city.

Building collapses in the West African country are common, including in Lagos, which recorded five such incidents last year. One such incident occurred in November, when more than 40 people died after a skyscraper still under construction collapsed on workers.

Authorities are accused of failing to enforce building regulations to ensure the safety of structures.