According to an update from the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal’s Office, there is no evidence to suggest foul play in the deaths of four Royal Military College cadets on their campus in Kingston, Ont., last week.
Meanwhile, investigators are asking anyone with information about the incident to come forward.
At around 2 a.m. on April 29, a vehicle carrying the four cadets – all in their final year of graduation – fell into the water off Point Frederick, a peninsula between Kingston Harbor and Navy Bay on the St. Lawrence River.
The four cadets were later identified as Andrei Honciu, Jack Hogarth, Andrés Salek and Broden Murphy.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS), the independent investigative branch of the Canadian Forces Military Police, was first cited as the primary investigative agency.
In Wednesday’s update, the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal’s Office said the CFNIS is now supporting an ongoing inquest led by Ontario’s Chief Coroner. Kingston Police and the local Military Police Detachment are also providing support.
“Ontario coroners are investigating deaths that appear to be from unnatural causes or natural deaths that occur suddenly or unexpectedly,” the statement said.
Few details of the incident have been released. The CFNIS will not provide any further information until the coroner completes his report, according to the statement.
The Provost Marshal’s Office asks anyone with details of the incident to call the CFNIS Service Line at 1-888-812-3647.