Police locate man after reports a person with a gun forced 4 Toronto schools into lockdown


Two schools in Toronto are on lockdown and two are on standby and safe after reports of a man with a rifle walking near Maberley Crescent and Oxhorn Road in Port Union.

Toronto police said the calls came in shortly before 1 p.m. Thursday.

Police said they located the man, who was described as being in his late teens or early 20s, and wearing a white bowler hat and three-quarter length coat.

Officers are at the scene and have “discharged” a firearm, according to police tweets.

The suspect is injured and paramedics are on the scene, police said.

“There is no broader threat to public safety,” police said shortly after 2 p.m.

Joseph Howe Main Public School, Charlottetown Public Primary School and Sir Oliver Mowat Collegiate Institute are in lockdown. Charlottetown Junior Public School was previously closed, but has since been put on hold and secured along with Centennial Road Junior Public School, according to tweets from the Toronto District School Board.

William G. Davis Junior Public School is no longer closed, according to a tweet from police, who are advising parents to pick up their children.

A hold and secure is a school response to an incident in the general vicinity, but not on or near school property. The day continues as normal inside the school, the TDSB says, but as a precaution, the exterior doors are locked and no one can enter or leave the building.

Toronto Police Inspector Scott Purchase is expected to provide an update to the public at 3 p.m.

More soon.